12,000 volt (12kV) Jacob's Ladder

Read all about my experiments, inventions and general fun with everything from high powered lasers to electronics, flux capacitors and other scientific stuff.
Danniielle
Site Admin

12,000 volt (12kV) Jacob's Ladder

Post by Danniielle »

Somewhere in my travels over the last few decades, I picked up a 12kV / 24mA neon sign transformer that I plan on using as the primary voltage source for a large Tesla coil. Building such a Tesla coil is a big project and I haven't devoted time to doing it just yet.

However, this transformer can also create some pretty decent arcs and works well as the supply for Jacob's Ladder. Such a display will go perfectly with the laser powered Flux Capacitor I'm currently building and there's room between the HeNe laser tubes for it.

I'm going to set the transformer up in such a way that it can be connected and disconnected easily from the Flux Capacitor so I can also use it for other projects such as the aforementioned Tesla coil.

Here's a short video testing electrode configurations for the Flux Capacitor.

⚠️⚠️⚠️ 12kV @ 24mA can easily kill instantly!!! DO NOT try this unless you are qualified and experienced with lethal voltage/current combinations!! ⚠️⚠️⚠️